Thursday, July 17, 2008

On Who I'd Want to Be...

I found in my email, that my dad sent me a quote of the day. He knows that one day I'd like to teach. His note said this:

"The best teacher is the one who suggests rather than dogmatizes, and inspires his listener with the wish to teach himself."
~ Edward Bulwer-Lytton

I love that. You know... He's taught me well too, my dad. He really is an example I'd want to become. Yesterday was his birthday and, as we met for lunch, my grandmother reminded me of a note she passed to me during church a few days ago. We were sitting in a Sunday school class that my Dad teaches and she couldn't get over how much he reminded her of her own father, Papa McGraw. Here he was, showing that he'd become the great example she would have hoped he would. One that her father shared. One that inspires me to teach myself and also to become that sort of teacher.

I hope that I do become that teacher, if not just that sort of father.

No comments: